Massage Cupping Now Available in Bloomington!
That’s the Rub is thrilled to offer our clients, athletes and non-athletes alike, Massage Cupping as both a stand alone therapy and an add-on to our other services. When combined with therapeutic massage, deep tissue, or sports massage, massage cupping exponentially increases the efficacy of your therapist to get deeper into the muscle, faster, easier, and less invasively. Book online or ask our receptionist to add it to your service!
Massage cupping is essentially the inverse of the typical massage therapy. Instead of exerting pressure on the different points of the body for healing, massage cupping uses suction to tug the skin, tissues, and muscles upwards. Massage cupping has been known to be used over the centuries by all cultures and the oldest records of traditional Chinese medicine talk about using the therapy to cure a range of ailments. In contemporary times, massage cupping is seen as an effective, non-invasive, inexpensive, and safe form of treatment that can be used by itself or in combination with other forms of therapeutic approaches. Because of its versatility, it is being used in physical therapy, chiropractics, and in spa treatments.
How it Works
When the therapist exerts suction on the different points on the body by way of massage suction, certain changes are brought about up to four inches inside the body. These changes stimulate the body to heal itself. Massage cupping results in:
- Promoting the flow of blood to the muscles and tissues, and removing stagnation
- Supplying oxygen and nutrients to the cells
- Softening the tightened muscles
- Loosening of adhesions and knots
- Lifting the connecting tissues
- Opening the blockages of the lymphatic nodes and easing the flow of lymph
- Releasing and draining of excess fluids and toxins like lactic acid from the tissues and cells
- Drawing inflammation from the deeper tissues to the surface of the skin so they can heal
- Stimulating and later, calming the peripheral nervous system
- Eliminating chronic congestion
Massage cupping can be used to treat ailments like stiff muscles, stress, migraines, fatigue and exhaustion, and back and neck pain. It can also be used in rheumatism, weight loss and cellulite reduction treatments. Muscles that have been injured, undergone trauma or exertion, accumulate lactic acid and other toxins. Massage cupping can be used to drain these toxins so the muscles can heal.
How it is Done
This form of therapy must always be taken from a trained and certified therapist.
- The first step is locating the points and sections of the body that need to be treated. Accordingly, the therapist uses the hands to palpate the muscles and joints, and thus, begins the relaxation process.
- A light oil such as sunflower, safflower or any other herbal oil is applied on the area where suction is to be created.
- The therapist uses medical grade silicone cups that are available in different sizes. The right-sized cup is selected depending on the area to be treated. Silicone cups are pliable so they are easy to move over the body and their transparency allows the therapist to monitor the condition of the skin. The skin color is a good indicator of the effectiveness of the treatment so the healer can make adjustments accordingly.
- The therapist then creates suction in the cup. This can be done in many ways. A burning object such as a cotton ball soaked in alcohol or paper can be inserted into the cup to heat it. Then, the object is removed and the cup is immediately inserted on the skin. It must be remembered that the skin is never burnt and the burning object is never allowed to come in contact with the skin.
- As the air inside the cup cools, a vacuum is created. Some therapists also choose to use cups on which a suction pump is attached. The pump creates the required vacuum in the cup and allows the therapist to create just the optimum amount of suction for the treatment to be effective.
- The therapist allows the cup to stay in place for a few minutes so that the muscles are loosened and relaxed. Then, the cup is gently moved over the skin in smooth motions so that the vacuum raises the skin and tissues.
- On certain sections where there is excessive stagnation or inflammation, the cups could drag a little or resist movement. This helps the therapist identify the areas that need special care.
Massage cupping can be used on upper arms and calves, thighs, abdomen, hips, sacral region, back, neck and shoulders. Areas such as the spine and scapula that are never treated in conventional massage therapy can be massaged using cupping, safely.
Schedule YOUR massage cupping appointment or add-on TODAY either online or ask our amazing front desk staff when you call 812-333-3393!